Pickled Vegetables & Quail Eggs by Idsumi

My parents sent us Japanese pickled vegetables and quail eggs as a part of our birthday gifts. In Japan, there are so many kinds of pickles, O-Tsukemono, literally, "pickled things," are served almost always at any traditional Japanese meal along with rice. As far as I can remember, some kinds of O-Tsukemono sit on the dining table at the three meals everyday at my parents. I have never developed a habit of consuming Japanese pickles, though. They are usually too salty and/or too pungent for me. The pickles we received this time were a very modern and sophisticated version that I have not seen before.
The pickle company Idsumi focuses on fresh ingredients locally grown in Osaka, healthy and mild flavors so that everyone from young to old can enjoy, and attractive looks. Their pickled things are beautifully hand-packed in glass jars. The pickled vegetables tasted lovely. The flavor was unique. It was quite different from American pickles that are usually very spicy and vinegary. It had a Japanese traditional flavor like Kombu seaweed while it was clearly distinct from traditional O-Tsukemono. One of ingredients in the pickled quail eggs was whisky, which I thought was interesting. The eggs were delightful. J and I enjoyed the new pickle experience. Thank you my parents!   

Popular Posts