Chicken Cottage Pie

I can easily fall in love with any dishes topped with mashed potatoes. Shepherd's Pie and Fish Pie, for example. So I expected I would like this chicken cottage pie and I was right. My chicken cottage pie was a cousin of my chicken pot pie. The same filling with a different topping: pie or potato.
The filling was based on the recipe for chicken filling from Cook's Illustrated's Chicken Pot Pie with Savory Crumble Topping while mine had more mushrooms, more carrots and less chicken than the original recipe.
After baking about 25 minutes, I saw the filling bubbling but didn't see any browning on top. I switched to broil, which quickly created a golden potato layer.
The result was great. It was hearty and tasty! J liked the dish very much, and I was glad that I could use up leftover potatoes, chicken broth, celery, carrot and baby peas. Everyone was happy.

Popular Posts