La Piana's Mezzaluna Pasta with Basil Pesto Filling

Mezzaluna pasta was new for us. We picked up the little stuffed pasta at a grocery store in Vienna, VA. According to wiki, "Mezzelune (from Italian, meaning 'half moons'), also known as Schlutzkrapfen in South Tyrol, Tyrol, and neighbouring German-speaking regions, are a semi-circular stuffed pasta, similar to ravioli or pierogi." There is something to learn everyday.
First I didn't know how much I should cook for two of us. I usually cook 100g of dried pasta per person. I wasn't sure if the rule could be applied to stuffed dried pasta properly. I ended up with cooking almost all of the 1 pound box.
I tried cooking the pasta gently, but started seeing some pieces opening and the filling coming out! I reduced heat and cooked more gently to keep the pasta in shape. After all, many pieces weren't broken.
Served with Vino de Milo's Fresh Herb Marinara pasta sauce, the dish was pretty good. The pasta had a nice "bite" texture and the tiny filling of basil pesto was flavorful. The quality of the pasta was better than I expected. The stuffed pasta was a nice change from usual plain pasta. There was one thing I should remember for future - almost all of the box was a little too much for two of us!

Popular Posts