Cream Tea #2 @ Bettys

My second cream tea tasting venue was Bettys. As a part of Afternoon tea menu, they offer "Yorkshire Cream Tea," which includes scones, jam, cream and a teapot for one of Tea Room Blend tea. It made my ordering easy. For tea, I chose Bettys Tea Room Blend, which was Bettys' traditional rich blend of top class African and Assam teas. The cream tea was served with a three tier cake stand and silver tea set. How fancy!   
I have had Bettys scones before while it was the first time for me to have their scones with jam and cream properly. Two sultana scones were served. They were slightly warm and already sliced. They were light but not so airy. Moist. Slightly chewy. While Jennys' scone was "homey," Bettys' were "tea room-y." Both were admirable in a different way. 
The clotted cream was dense and very cold, almost like a very rich milky ice cream. The texture was quite different from Jennys' cream. The coldness was a bit problem, though. The cream was too chilled to spread easily. While I was dealing with the cream, I remembered an article about an exclusive Bettys clotted cream supplier, a family organic dairy farm near Northallerton in Yorkshire. The article was dated in 2016. I wondered if the cream was from the same farm. The jam was supposed to be strawberry preserve (usually chunky in texture), but I thought it was very close to jam (a thick spread). No problem. I think thick but smooth jam is appropriate to be together with cream on scones.
Bettys' cream tea was elegant. I wished more cream and jam, though. The portion was a little small for two scones. Perhaps, an additional tablespoon of jam and cream each would be perfect. Actually, the real perfection for me would be just one scone and the same amount of jam and cream.

Popular Posts