Barcelona, Spain 9 - Churrería Laietana & Palau de la Música Catalana


When I heard that churros with chocolate are eaten as breakfast in Spain, I thought what a wonderful country Spain is. Churrería Laietana was an excellent churrería to appreciate the custom in the best way. The place is run by a family and serves churros that were just fried in front of your eyes. There were only a very limited counter seatings but somehow we managed to get a chair. Yes, just one chair was fine since J wasn't going to eat. He stood by me and watched the churrería's owner making churros while I was enjoying my churros and chocolate.


I ordered not only churros but also porras. Churros are thin, crunchy, and knotted; porras are thicker, softer, and are not knotted. I have never had porras before. I tasted both churros and porras with and without chocolate. Both were wonderful but I would say that I preferred porras. They were so light and fluffy and went very well with chocolate. By the way, the thick, rich and warm chocolate was very good. It wasn't too sweet. Actually neither churros or porras weren't sweet. I guess that was one of reasons that I didn't have any problem to finish up all those fried pastries and a big cup of chocolate. They were delicious!



It was lots of fun to watch the churros master making churros and porras!




Could I have churros/porras with chocolate every morning? Well, that would be too rich and probably not a good practice for health. I would still love to have the indulgent breakfast once a while, though. Next to the churreria, It was J's turn for breakfast. We went to Palau de la Música Catalana, a concert hall designed in the Catalan modernista style by the architect Lluís Domènech i Montaner. The hall, built between 1905 and 1908, was beautiful although we saw only the outside, the entrance and the cafeteria.



J had a croissant and a beet and fruit juice. I had a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. The cafeteria was open and relaxing with only a few other customers. It was nice to find the space in a busy city of Barcelona.


To be continued...

Popular Posts