Homemade American-style Lasagna


J requested me to make lasagna - specifically, not North Italy's Romagna version with meat sauce and delicate Béchamel sauce, but cheesy saucy American version with tomatoey meat sauce and tons of ricotta and mozzarella cheeses. I adopted a recipe from Simply Recipes, my trusted source and changed it a bit, such as skipping sugar. Here, the ground beef is not sold in pound but in gram. I bought a pack of 400 g, 5% fat ground beef, which was about 50g less than a pound. I soaked dried lasagna sheets in boiled water for 4 minutes, which is a Cook's Illustrated trick. I tried to load all cheese called by the recipe, but that was so much! My lasagna had a little less Mozzarella than the amount on the recipe. Still the result was very cheesy!


The 9 inch x 13 inch lasagna provided us 3 day meals. That was good but I will take a break from lasagna for a while, at least from a homemade one.

Popular Posts