Japanese-style Curry & Rice


Recently I found a "Japanese curry mix in block" at Waitrose. The product was made in Japan! I bought a box and made curry in a very traditional Japanese style. The typical ingredients are diced beef, onions, carrots and potatoes. My curry had them specifically. Served with steamed sticky Japanese short grain rice, the result looked and tasted very Japanese!


I am happy to be able to buy a Japanese curry mix in England. The picture on the product was quite interesting for me, though. It was Katsu Curry (curry sauce with deep-fried chicken or pork fillets). Katsu curry is common and popular in Japan, but just one of many kinds of curry dishes, not a standard, at least in my opinion. However, it seems that Katsu curry has become a representative of Japanese curry in England as the result of localization of the package design tells me. I remember that Katsu curry was the only curry dish that a Japanese restaurant in the DC area, U.S. served. I guess that there are many people in England and the States who have no idea about how a traditional Japanese curry is fixed.

Popular Posts