Out-of-Season Pumpkin Pie in England


I see pumpkins at local grocery stores here. So people here must eat pumpkins but I haven't seen pumpkin pies, pumpkin muffins or pumpkin cheesecakes. I guess pumpkins are not for desserts in England. On the other hand, I found canned pumpkin at Waitrose. Perhaps, people use it for soup? or for non-English people living here like me who crave a pumpkin pie during fall, especially Thanksgiving. The can was a product of USA. That makes a sense. I know it's not fall now. I bought a can of pumpkin puree last fall but kept missing a chance to covert it to a pie. Finally I had a time to do so!


This time I adopted a recipe of Old Fashioned Pumpkin Pie from Simply Recipes. For the crust, I also followed their All Butter Pie Crust for Pies and Tarts (Pâte Brisée) recipe. The result was a brightly spiced and heavenly creamy filling with a crunchy buttery crust. Whipped cream on top is a must for me. The pie was wonderful even though I baked a bit too long and made a large deep crack in the middle, which J called Grand Canyon. Later I remember that this wasn't my first out-of-season pumpkin pie; I have made one in May before. After all, I love pumpkin and I could eat a pumpkin pie all year round.

Popular Posts