Chinese Nappa Cabbage & Gyoza Dumpling Wrapper Soup

This was "My lunch without J" - Chinese Napa Cabbage & Gyoza dumpling wrapper soup.

J doesn't know what his housecat (me) is doing and eating. This was one of very good examples - cleaning up the leftovers in the refrigerator and make something J wouldn't care, for examples, weird Japanese stuffs or certain vegetables such as cabbage.

I knew about 1/4 old Chinese Nappa Cabbage (Hakusai in Japanese) and about 10 sheets of Gyoza dumpling wrapper had been waiting to say Hello again, so this was that time. I made a simple soup with Japanese chicken soup powder and low-sodium soy sauce, and threw all chopped Hakusai and Gyoza wrapper in the soup, added black and white pepper. Ta-da! Just only two main ingredients made a big hot bowl of delicious soup.

This kind of taste makes me feel so peaceful. Especially winter is the best time, at least for me, to eat Hakusai since that reminds me of Japanese winter hot pot dish "Nabe." Nabe is a dish that all family members eat together, picking up foods - vegetables, seafood, meat, noodle, rice cake, etc.. - cooked in the steamy earthenware pot on a portable stove set on the middle of table. That made my tummy and heart warm during a cold winter season.

Since I don't have a proper earthenware pot nor a portable stove, I won't manage to recreate my Nabe memory here. Instead, I could simply enjoy my secret lunch with leftover Hakusai.

Popular Posts