Cream Cheese Steamed Cupcakes

This was cream cheese steamed cupcake.

I was hoping to make something like "Cheese Mushi-Pan" sold in Japan. It's very fluffy, moist, gently sweet, lovely cheese flavored steamed bread... well, it's named "Pan (bread)," but actually it's like soft sponge cake that melts in your mouth.

I checked some recipes posted on the Internet, and made up my own recipe to finish some leftover cream cheese and eggs as well as to be healthier by using Splenda.

The results didn't turn to what I hoped. My cupcakes were soft, but not like melt-in-your-mouth, rather springy and less cheese flavor. Actually I didn't find any cheese in there. Where was cream cheese gone??? I guess the cupcakes would need some kinds of strong cheese. Even so, they were pretty good as simple steamed treats for breakfast.

For the next time, I will study more to come close to my dream "Cheese Mushi-Pan."

Cream Cheese Steamed Cupcakes
MAKES 8

140g cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
150 g 1/3-fat cream cheese, room temperature
7 tbs Splenda (or 80-100 g sugar)
2 eggs, room temperature
3 tbs low-fat milk
2 tbs vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extra

1. In a small bowl, mix flour and baking powder, and sift the flour mixture, set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk cream cheese until soften, stir in Splenda, whisk well until smooth.
3. Add eggs one by one, whisk well each time until smooth.
4. Add milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla, whisk well. Sift in the flour mixture, mix with spatula gently but quickly until the flour mixture is just incorporated into the cheese mixture.
5. Spoon the batter into 8 cupcake cups. Set in a steamer, steam over medium-high heat about 11 min, or until a toothpick comes out clear.

Popular Posts