Apple Galette with White Chocolate & Fresh Ginger Ice Cream

This was Apple Galette with White Chocolate and Fresh Ginger Ice Cream.

I realized J really liked our latest homemade ice cream: white chocolate and fresh ginger ice cream. We were invited to our friends' house for lunch-dinner (amazing hors d'oeuvre and fabulous lobster pasta!!!!). When I asked J what I could bring for dessert, he chose the ice cream. And talking about how to serve the ice cream, ice cream cookie sandwich was an idea. Then, I thought something with apple would be nice to celebrate this autumn. Apple and fresh ginger/white chocolate, why not? Since the ice cream would be the star, a simple slice of apple galette would play a role of a stage where the scoop of the ice cream can dance (melt).

For apple galette, I adapted a recipe from the Cook's Illustrated as usual. In fact, this was my first apple galette. I carefully followed the recipe.
Apples I picked were Golden Delicious. I like tart apples when they are baked and caramelized. The recipe was supposed to make the galette that "has the buttery flakiness of a croissant but is strong enough to support a generous layer of caramelized apples." The crust wasn't very flaky, though. But it was strong. I wouldn't say tough but a kind of crunchy. Certainly it could hold apples and ice cream. So I guess the galette did a good job for its role.

Popular Posts