German Apple Almond Cake

This was German apple almond cake.

I admit that the cake would be more suitable to fall when fresh farmers' apples are available, but it was perfect to use the small box of almond paste that has been sitting in the pantry for a while. The recipe I adapted was by David Lebobitz. I adjusted the amount of ingredients to make a 8 inch cake instead of 9 inch as usual. I also used coconut sugar for sugar. The recipe was easy to follow. It called for melted butter, so there wasn't a time-consuming step of creaming butter. The concentric circles of sliced apples on top of the batter in the picture of the recipe was lovely and I hoped to create something close like that. However, because of the smaller cake pan and my large granny smith apples, I was able to make only one circle on top of the batter. Oh, well. J won't mind it.
Ta-da! I didn't have apricot jam. I made honey and Calvados syrup to brush on top.
Beautiful, isn't it? Nobody knows that the cake had a big crack because I accidentally forgot to run a knife around the inside of the pan to release the cake...
Diced apple everywhere.
It was lovely moist and flavorful. I love almond-flavored baked stuffs as well as sweets made with tart fruits. The cake generously gave me both!
And with whipped cream!? All my dream on the plate!

Popular Posts