New Butter Chicken

This was new butter chicken.

My first butter chicken that was made with Japanese curry roux was pretty good. This time I wanted to make a different butter chicken without commercial curry roux. I adapted the recipe from the New York Times that has been received the maximum five stars based on nearly 1,500 reviews. I didn't have garam masala in hand. Actually I did a very old jar, and it must be staled by now. To buy a new jar, I looked for one at a local Wegmans store. Surprisingly they didn't have any. Garam masala is just a spice mix for curry. I have various kinds of spices. There must be a recipe online, and I could make my own. Yes, I did! I checked some recipes and each had a different combination of spices. I picked a recipe by the kitchn because I have seen interesting articles and helpful tips on the kitchen. For chicken, I used boneless skinless thighs although the recipe used bone-in, skin-on. I marinated the chicken overnight. I used six tablespoon butter that was 2 tablespoon less than the recipe. Instead of fresh chiles, I used a half of J's dried red chili pepper. I don't know what kind of the pepper was, but I guess it was cayenne. One more change to the recipe was the amount of cream. One and a half cup sounded too much. I added just a quarter cup of cream.
With those changes, the curry was a big hit. J seemed to like it very much. We had the curry three days, but no complains at all.

Popular Posts