Oyako-Don (Japanese Chicken and Egg Rice Bowl)

This is one of my favorite Japanese dishes. I always ask my mother to cook Oyako-don when I visit my parents in Japan. However, I hadn't cooked it by myself until now. Main reasons were because I have become an anti-chicken person in the US and I wasn't quite sure if J likes seasoned soft egg over steam rice. Oyako-don is literally about parent and child (chicken and egg). Both should be together in the rice bowl. This time, I had some frozen organic chicken thighs that I have already trimmed extra fat, and more than a dozen of eggs in hand. Also I hadn't made a Japanese dish for a while. I showed J a picture of Oyako-don to see his reaction. He didn't seem to mind. Finally I was determined to make Oyako-don. I adapted a recipe that I found online. It was an easy cooking. Although eggs were a little too much cooked, my Oyako-don tasted very good. I was very glad that J liked the dish. I didn't mind chicken taste in this case. We'll see if Oyako-don will become a regular dish. I hope so! 

Popular Posts