Currant Squares

The second recipe that I adapted from my new cooking book, Irish Traditional Cooking written by Darina Allen was for Currant Squares. It was a kind of Irish soda bread. I have made Irish soda bread as well as Irish buttermilk brown bread before. The process should be familiar to me. I have been handling sticky Irish soda bread dough before. No problem! I thought so until I reached the line that the recipe said "Flip the mixture over." What? I read the sentence again. No kidding. That was a kind of crazy thing to do with the mountain of very sticky but also very crumbling dough on the board. However, the traditional Irish cooking book said so. I should follow it, shouldn't I?
As I predicted, flipping the entire dough ended up with a messy kitchen counter. That wasn't the end of the world anyway. Next thing to do was "flatten into a round 2-inch thick." Alright, I managed it by gathering the sticky and crumbling dough pieces from here and there. Then, cut into four wedges.
Then, bake in the preheated oven until golden brown.
My currant squares just looked like the those in the picture from the cooking book. I think I did alright.
The recipe says, "serve freshly baked with butter." We did with vegan butter spread as a healthier alternative. They were pretty good! One square was too huge for a person, though. J and I started eating a piece each and we both got so full before finishing it up.

Popular Posts