Pan-Seared Lamb Chops & White Asparagus Mimosa with "Special Eggs"

The dinner turned out wonderful. I marinated lamb chops with olive oil, lemon juice, dried herbs, black pepper, salt and garlic in the early morning and cooked them afternoon. My target temperature was around 130 degree for somewhere between medium rare and medium. After I seared 3 minutes on each side over high heat, the internal temperature of one of the chop that I checked was more than 130. Did I overcook them? Mine looked like medium, which was my preference; J said that his chops still had pink inside. Phew!
The real adventure was white asparagus. We had bought usual green asparagus, which changed into space aliens (too much grown according to J) next day. So, we took them back to the store to replace. We returned the shocking asparagus alright. However, the store didn't have any young tender fresh asparagus. Everyone seemed to have a potential to become a monster very soon. Meanwhile, there were their cousin: white version. We have never bought or cooked white asparagus before. They looked fine, at least better than those in green. We bought white asparagus instead.
With green asparagus, I was going to make Asparagus Mimosa by adapting a recipe by David Lebovitz that I found on his blog recently so that I could use super-fresh "special eggs" from J's friend (Thank you!!). According to David, "Speaking of France, the word “mimosa” means with hard-cooked eggs." I made two hard-cooked "special eggs."
The result was lovely! White asparagus has gentle sweetness and a delicate flavor. Now I am a fan of white asparagus although peeling all of them one by one was a little tedious. The "Mimosa" tasted pretty good and the combination with white asparagus was very nice. The special eggs had bright orange-yellow yolks that made Mimosa charming, too. The dinner was pretty simple but plenty of flavors. Served with tomato, cucumber, radish and green salad, it was a fantastic spring/summer weekday meal. 

Popular Posts