Bettys Éclairs & Fortnum & Mason's Hot Chocolate


When we were in Bath, we stopped by at an art shop by chance. There were some nice pottery in the basement and these particular pieces caught J's eye. He thought the color combination - yellow & dark espresso reminded him of ancient Roman pottery, which was nicely associated with Bath. Also he pointed out that the yellow color was suggestive of the unique honey-colored limestone buildings around the area. Those pieces seemed like a thoughtful Christmas gift for each other. We decided to take a pair of cup and plate with us. 


These artworks were made by Clive Bowen, a Devon-based studio potter who has been exhibited widely both in UK and abroad. Born in Cardiff in 1943, he studied painting and etching before taking up a pottery apprenticeship. He has been making wood-fired earthenware at Shebbear Pottery, his own pottery in North Devon since 1971. He is regarded as Britain's finest slip decorator. I guess the yellow decorations are "slip." J told me that the plate would be perfect to serve éclairs. I guess he saw the yellow curved lines as sugar or chocolate glazing on éclairs. He also had an idea to serve Victoria sponge cake on the plates. I like both ideas!

We tried the plates with two kinds of Bettys eclairs - chocolate and coffee. Both worked very well! Now I am waiting for Bettys making their delicious Victoria sponge cakes again. I think they will start doing so in the spring. The size of cups are perfect for hot chocolate. My current favorite hot chocolate is Fortnum & Mason's Ultimate 100% Dark Hot Chocolate. It's lovely smooth chocolaty- no chalky or acidity. No added sugar, which means I can adjust sweetness by using Splenda. I also usually add a couple of drops of Vanilla extract. Sometimes a hint of honey.  

I am very happy to welcome the new plates and cups in the cupboard. Whenever I use them, I can remember our pleasant holiday trip. 

Popular Posts