Black Bean Tacos


According to J's request, I made black bean tacos a couple of weeks ago. That was a good opportunity to use Epazote, my new dried herb that I took with me from the States last November. Native to Mexico and Guatemala, Epazote has been commonly used for culinary and medicinal purposes in Central America. It has a strong flavors similar to oregano, anise, citrus, mint, etc, but when it's dried, the pungent flavor is reduced. Because it eases digestion problems caused by eating beans and cabbages, Epazote often pairs with black bean dishes. Quick online research told me those things.


My epazote certainly smelt like oregano and mint. I added about a tea spoon in my usual black been filling. Maybe it was too little. Honestly I didn't taste the special herb. Chili powder and other spices dominated the filling's flavor. The filling tasted very good anyway. 

We enjoyed the black bean taco party. By the way, the canned organic black beans I bought from Waitrose weren't really black. Their color was more like brown, rather black. Similar to kidney beans. Maybe British black beans are different from American black beans? It was supposed to be simple black bean tacos but gave me a new experiment and a new question. Cooking never gets tired!

Popular Posts