Linguine with Tomato & Almond Pesto (Pesto Alla Trapanese)

This was Linguine with Tomato-Almond Pesto, or Pesto Trapanese.

It was a type of pesto from the Sicilian village of Trapani, made with fresh tomato, almond, garlic, basil, cheese, and olive oil. Each ingredient is simple but the combination makes the sauce unique. I adapted a recipe from Smitten Kitchen. First the sauce was a little bland. Maybe my Parmesan cheese was so mild. We sprinkled a few pinches of sea salt, which brightened the flavor. After I made this, I found Lidia's recipe, which use cherry tomato instead of plum tomato, and less almond, but with a pinch of peperoncino. J will agree with the little pepper kick. Tomatoes in the sauce are just fresh, not cooked, so I believe good quality of tomatoes simply make the sauce better. Cheese could make a different too. My Pesto Trapenese quest has just started.

Popular Posts