Biscotti di Prato

These were almond biscuits, Biscotti di Prato, by Antonio Mattei.

I have baked different kinds of biscotti and liked them. Basically we don't need to buy biscotti. But this time I wanted to taste Italian traditional biscotti to broaden my horizons from the history of the pastry. According to the company, in 1858 Antonio Mattei opened his business, producing and selling the typical almond biscuits in the old city of Prato, Italy's Tuscany. Since then, the bakery has been producing Italian biscotti and confections there.
Biscotti are packed in the beautiful blue paper bag. They were very crispy, so perfect to soak in coffee (or tea). Big almonds were everywhere as the package's picture shows. Each biscuit was kinda small. Maybe this size is traditional; biscotti sold in the US are simply made gigantic for the US market. Overall, I liked the biscotti. Will I buy it again? I think I will bake my own almond biscotti instead. On the other hand, if I go to Prato, I would love to visit the bakery indeed.

Popular Posts