Lime & Lemon Posset

This was lime and lemon posset.

I hadn't known posset until I saw the name in our Medieval time cooking book. Recently I have run across recipes for posset online multiple times. Perhaps it's getting popular now. Or always like that, which only I didn't know. How to make posset, I mean, its modern version is so easy: cook whipped cream and sugar, stir in lemon juice and chill it to set (curdle). The original posset seems like a hot drink made with boiled milk, wine/ale and spices. I also learned there was poisoned possets in William Shakespeare's Macbeth that Lady Macbeth used to knock out the guards outside Duncan's quarters. I thought all the history made J interested to taste this new (for us) dessert. Even without such fascinating background, I guessed J would like it because he generally likes lemony sweets. I adapted a recipe from online. I liked the idea of using not only lemon but also lime to make the citric flavor brighter and more complex. I halved the recipe and made four small cups. I also replaced all sugar with Splenda. So my posset was proudly sugar-free! I topped a drop of lightly sweeten whipped cream with vanilla extract along with lemon and lime zest. J and I LOVED the dessert! So refreshing! I won't halve the recipe next time.

Popular Posts