Cream Scones

These were cream scones.

I failed. They were supposed to be about 2 inch high with their famed "cracks" on the side, just like the picture from the recipe on Chowhound that I adapted with just one change: I added currants.
Mine were helplessly flat. How did it happen? I tried not to deal with the dough too much not to melt the grated frozen butter and to make the scone tender. That caution might have not developed enough gluten structure? On the other hand, any dough with high butter ratio usually spreads out in the oven when it's not cold enough. The recipe didn't say I should chill the dough before baking, but I might have needed to do so. Good news was they were delicious. Very tender, very cakey, yummy. J liked them. So, there was a happy ending...but I will try making cream scones again with a different recipe until they reach 2 inch hight!  

Popular Posts