Sichuan Sesame Noodles

This was Sichuan sesame noodles.

After making the scallion sauce on chicken, I still had a bunch of scallions that I wanted to use up. I usually use a good amount of scallions when I make Asian style noodle dishes, so I was going to make a kind of noodle dish. And I wanted to try something new. A recipe of Spicy Sichuan Noodles with Shiitake Mushrooms from Cooks Illustrated caught my eye. I skipped bean sprout and tripled the amount of scallions. I reduced red pepper flakes to 1/4 teaspoon and used Tahini for Asian sesame paste. I didn't know if Tahini is similar to Asian sesame paste, though. The result was not spicy at all. Moreover, it was very bitter! I guess Tahini or Sichuan peppercorns which are known as their unique effects that tinge and numb your mouth, or both brought the unpleasant bitterness. I could have used peanut butter instead of Tahini and reduced Sichuan peppercorns. Sorry J! At least one good thing was there. I successfully used up all scallions!

Popular Posts