Japan 2019 - Meigetsuki


I visited Japan in the mid-June of this year to see my family. During my visit, my family members got together at a special Japanese restaurant, Meigetsuki and celebrated my parents' longevity. It's an old custom in Japan to celebrate longevity at a certain age such as 70, 77, 80, 88, 90, etc.


Everyone expect my brother's little daughter (she had a special kid's lunch box) had a Kaiseki (a traditional multi-course Japanese dinner) style, which was created with selected ingredients that were in season and/or symbol of luck/fortune for this special celebration, such as flame-grilled whole Tai (sea bream). Sea bream is a lucky fish in Japan!


Clear soup with egg tofu and winter melon


Assorted Sashimi


Festive red rice (steamed rice with red beans)


A deep-fried Tofu ball mixed with thinly sliced vegetables and seaweed, covered with a sweet savory sauce


Individual pot dish - salmon and vegetables cooked with a milky soup


Steamed rice cooked with wild vegetables and fried Tofu, served with Miso soup


Desserts were somehow Western - peach jelly and fig cake


The food was delicious. Importantly, we had a great time all together!


The restaurant was located on the top of a hill near my parents' house. The view from here was pretty. I hope to come back here with J and my family in near future.

Popular Posts