Tweed at Wadworth, featuring Robin Hood Festival @ Sherwood Forest


We had a nice brunch at Tweed at Wadworth recently. We stopped by at the coffee shop attached to a butcher on our way to Sherwood Forest in Nottinghamshire. J picked the cafe and drove there, so I didn't know where I was having my beans on toast exactly. The place seemed very popular among locals. In fact the place was packed when we got there. We waited for a table for a while, watching the butcher's showcase and customers who come and go. Eventually we were seated.


When I ordered beans on toast, I had imagined a slice of toast topped with beans. I was wrong. An ocean of beans with three pieces of toast island. Probably the beans were Heinz, which didn't matter because I liked the dish. J had a fried egg and bacon breakfast sandwich. It looked straightforward and made his hand messy with egg yolk. Anyway it seemed that he enjoyed the simple sandwich.


It took about 30 minute drive from the coffee shop to our destination - Sherwood Forest, Home of Robin Hood. We were there not only to see the legendary forest but also to attend the 35th annual Robin Hood Festival.




The arena was the main stage for "Tournament," a live show by Robin and the Sheriff along with The Merry Men and Marian.




No matter how the tournament goes, Robin always wins at the end. Yes, he did indeed although the Sheriff was actually doing better at that time. The story has been fixed...


Several tents for entertainments such as medieval music and magic tricks as well as shops were set in the forest. I wished to put a cute owl on my arm but gave up because there were some people waiting for it. Instead I took an archery lesson. It was so fun! I think I have found my new hobby.




It was lovely to walk in Sherwood Forest. It is said that hundreds of ancient oaks have been thriving here for more than 500 years, including the special one named "Major Oak", estimated to be around 1,000 years old. The festival was cheerful. It was somewhat for kids: there was no beer vendor for J but we had a great time!

Popular Posts