Rosebud Preserves' Gooseberry & Elderflower Jam


Gooseberry & Elderflower Jam by Rosebud Preserves was a mystery for me because I have never tasted gooseberries and I haven't had elderflower in a jammy shape before. I was simply curious about the jam and couldn't help but bought a jar. Muscat grape-like flavor was strong, which came from elderflower while I couldn't find and describe gooseberry's taste well. According to some online sources, gooseberries have similar flavors to sour grapes and apples. Maybe part of the muscat flavor actually came from gooseberries, too? The jam was a bit too sweet for me, though.


In fact recently I saw fresh green gooseberries in a local Waitrose store first time. Also I found an article by Telegraph, dated in 2015, mentioning "The British gooseberry is in danger of disappearing from UK grocers for good, it has emerged, as demand for the soft fruit reaches its lowest level ever." Apparently gooseberries were very popular in the early 1900s. However, today strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries dominates the market. The number of UK farmers who grow gooseberries has been dramatically dropped. Next time when I see fresh gooseberries, I should buy some. It could be the last chance to do so!

Popular Posts