Sour Cherry & Orange Butter Cake

This was sour cherry and orange butter cake.

Suddenly I would like to eat sweets with whipped cream. It sometimes happens to me. I had whipped cream, so I needed something that goes with it. Something to easily make. Something summerly. Something not so big for two of us... I went back to a classic - simple butter cake, or Quarte Quarts in French. I decided to use two eggs, which would be about 100 g. Then the volume of other ingredients - flour, sugar, and butter were automatically set. Well, I didn't measure precisely 1:1:1:1 ratio. Sugar was less and I used brown sugar for more than half. I used one stick butter, which was slightly more than 100 g. For flour, I used exact 100g of all-purpose flour, not cake flour.
There are at least four different ways to make Quarte Quarts. I picked a way for a lighter texture - creaming butter and sugar, mixing egg yolks, folding in flour (and baking powder that I added a teaspoon to make the cake feather light!) and folding in whipped egg whites. To the classic butter cake, I added a can of sour cherries, orange zest from 1 navel orange, half a tea spoon of vanilla extract, and two teaspoons of Kirsch. My summer butter cake was so airy, moist, buttery, lovely with a big drop of whipped cream. Perfect.

Popular Posts