Streuselkuchen with Fresh Apricots

This was Streuselkuchen with Fresh Apricots.

Fresh apricots are in season! I knew what I wanted to do with them - making German traditional crumble cake, or Streuselkuchen.
I have made Australian crumble cake with fresh apricots years ago, which had a buttery shortbread crust. This German cake had a sweet yeast dough. For yeast dough, I adopted a recipe from the same blog that I adopted a recipe of simmered pork for ramen.
And arranging halved apricots on the yeast dough. 
For a crumb topping, or streusel, I made my own crumb based on two recipes: one for Austrian apricot crumble cake that I found online very long time ago and the other from Japanese baking book. It had some almond flour and a little bit of lemon zest.
The crumb didn't turn to golden brown even after baking twice longer than the suggested baking time. Apricots were bubbling and the crust seemed done. So I took the pan out from the oven and broiled the top in the toaster oven to get a tan.
In fact I haven't had an real Streuselkuchen. So I don't know if what the result was supposed to be like. The yeast dough was light and fluffy, which I liked, but somewhat soggy or doughy. It was worse the next day. Very soggy! I had toasted the top and the bottom in the toaster oven again before we ate. Perhaps, Streuselkuchen is a kind of cake that is better to be consumed within the same day it was baked. On the other hand I liked the apricot part very much. Canned apricot can't deliver the bright, sweet and sour taste. I will try Streuselkuchen again with different fruit, something less juicy to see if the dough still gets soggy.

Popular Posts