Summer Corn Chowder

This was summer corn chowder.

In addition to eggplants and peaches, we bought three fresh corns on the cob from the local farm stand. Not surprisingly we didn't have any specific plan to do with them at that time. I stored them in the refrigerator. I have read once a corn is picked, its sugar turned into starch and it keeps loosing the freshness and sweetness. The corn clock have already activated. Tic, toc, tic, toc. Ok, I got an idea.
I like corn chowder. Correction, I LOVE corn chowder. However, J is not a big fan of that kind of milky sweet soup. I expected he would say No, but asked him if I could make corn chowder with the fresh corns. Surprisingly he said yes! I didn't care whether there was a catch. I just needed to make the chowder quickly before he changes his mind. While there are many recipes available online, I adapted one from food52.com because the recipe seemed very popular and I happened to watch a video that the co-founders of Food52.com were making the chowder. I made some changes, though. The recipe called for 6 ears of corn; I had three. I adjusted the amount of other ingredients. My local grocery store didn't have poblano, so I skipped it. The store did have jalapeños, but all looked oil. So I skipped it too. To fill the missing pepper taste, I added one green pepper. I skipped pinch of sugar. I was sure the corns were very sweet. I skipped all bacons. After having a huge steak, I didn't have a taste of pork fat. I used a table spoon of butter instead. The recipe called for 2 cups light cream and 1 cup milk. Even if I halve both, it still sounded too much milk. I added about 1 cup of chicken broth, about 1/2 cup of low-fat milk, and about a tablespoon of heavy cream. The result was lovely! Yes, summer corns had pleasant texture with a nice bite. They were very sweet, but the other veggies like green pepper and celery added some savory flavors. Potatoes made the chowder hearty. Tomatoes made it summer-y. I liked it very much, and J seemed to enjoy my creation too. Adding bacons and spicy peppers might turn him to a big fan of corn chowder? Perhaps, next time!

Popular Posts