Summer Peach Pie with a Pie Bird

This was summer peach pie with a pie bird.

I don't remember how I knew a pie bird, but it happened not so long time ago. Once I learned such a thing exists, I wanted to own one. By intensely searching on Internet, I found my little bird on ebay and adopted it. The birdie, born in England some decades ago, is so adorable. Now I should make a pie. We had fresh ripen peaches from a local farmer. Summer peach pie was the birdie's first nest.
Birdie: I am ready!
Birdie: Hello, Peaches!
Birdie: Nicely cozy here!
Birdie: Your pie is steamy!
The Birdie: J, come here!
The pie was beautifully golden brown. We gently moved out the birdie from the Pie nest when we sliced the pie. The pie was... like the ocean. Cook's Illustrated told me how juicy peaches are and how to avoid the juice making the bottom crust soggy. I followed all their tricks but one - a lattice top that effectively releases moisture during baking. Because I wanted to use my bird, I had to cover the top and let Birdie control the moisture. Well, obviously peach pie wasn't a suitable nest for Birdie.
Yes, the bottom crust was soggy. Just forget about it. The pie was amazingly wonderful! Peaches were very tasty and had a perfect tender-but-firm texture. The top crust was buttery, light, flaky, and delicious.
Apple brandy-boozy whipped cream, everyone?
Making a pie with Birdie was fun and the pie was incredible. I will call this experiment success. So, what pie will be the next Birdie's nest?

Popular Posts