Baked Vegetable Egg Rolls

These were baked vegetable egg rolls.

I had 1/2 head of medium cabbage that I would like to use as soon as possible. Vegetable egg rolls popped up in my mind. I made fillings with vegetables in hand - cabbage, of course, carrot, leftover red onion, dried Shiitake mushrooms and celery. I adapted a recipe of the filling seasoning that I found on Japanese largest recipe portal Cookpad with a few changes such as reducing sugar, replacing fresh ginger with ginger powder, and adding garlic powder and a lot of black and white peppers.
I didn't want to deep-fly the egg rolls, so I adapted the baking part of the recipe of baked Tofu and Vegetable egg rolls that I found on Food52.com.
Ta-da!
They looked nice. J ate two. I had one. Unfortunately J didn't like them. The filling was too sweet and the wraps weren't crispy but crunchy. Yes, I understood both points. So what did I do with the eleven leftover? I finished all of them in the next three days by snacking some in the morning. They weren't so bad after all. Actually I enjoyed my unusual breakfast.

Popular Posts