Minty Peach Ice Cream with Ground Cherry Compote

This was minty peach ice cream with ground cherry compote.


We were lucky to find tree-ripen local peaches at a local farm stand, again! A question was what to do with them. Peach pie was wonderful. Peach cake? Peach cobbler? J's choice was peach ice cream with our garden mint. I made peach, mint and candied pecan ice cream last summer. It was pretty good, but I didn't want to simply repeat it. This time, I made a base ice cream in the way that I made strawberry mint white chocolate ice cream, based on a recipe by Serious Eats. Using Agave syrup to make a refined-sugar-free ice cream was as usual. I also used half and half first time for ice cream. I dramatically reduced light corn syrup, too.
I also picked plenty of fresh mint to make sure the ice cream would be minty because I used a little of mint for strawberry mint white chocolate ice cream and didn't taste any mint.
When we bought peaches, a farmer at the stand introduced us a new fruit - ground cherries. We tried one there. It was very sweet and fruity, but somehow reminded me of tomatoes. This unique fruit attracted us and couldn't help but buy some. It was J's idea to make ground cherry compote and serve it with peach ice cream as we did blueberry compote with mango frozen yogurt. It sounded delightful.
I learned about ground cherries a little more online. It was a part of family of tomatoes and eggplants. I see the reason of my first impression of this little yellow fruit.
The ice cream was definitely peachy and clearly minty. It was light because of half and half, I guess. A little crumbly perhaps because of less light corn syrup or no cream cheese or both, but ice cream was still able to be beautifully scooped. The ground cherry compote was a lovely complement, too.
The compote ran out on Day 2. After then, we enjoyed just the peach ice cream after dinner. With or without the compote, the peach ice cream was fantastic!

Popular Posts