New Veggie Burgers

These were new veggie burgers!

I had a decent recipe of veggie burgers and made at least twice in the past, but wanted to try a new recipe from Cooks Illustrated's. The recipe itself wasn't new; it was issued in July 2005. I just found it recently. While many veggie burger recipes call for black beans, this recipe intentionally avoid black beans. Instead it goes with lentils bulgur wheat, cashew nuts,...
...mushrooms, leeks, onion, and celery to create a nice-chew, savory patty that can be grill without falling apart.
All ingredients beautifully got together to shape patties. There was a trick. As a binder, some mayo was mixed in! No raw egg was used. So, the patty didn't include any raw ingredients, which means clean handling!
...which also means quick cooking.
After browning both side, I moved the patties onto parchment paper and placed sliced cheddar cheese on top.
I broiled cheese until melt like this!
I baked buns too. I brushed melted butter over the buns before and after baking. They were pretty shiny and smelled wonderfully buttery.
 So far, so good! until J said "no sesame?"
I love sesame seeds on burger buns, but I totally forgot the addition this time. That was so sad!
Even without sesame beans, the burgers were great. The patties were very tasty with a nice texture. Of course, if there were sesame, they could have been greater. We will enjoy the greater version soon because there were a lot of patties and I saved some in freezer!

Popular Posts