Linguine with Tomato & Prosciutto di Parma

This was linguine with tomato and Prosciutto di Parma.

There was leftover Prosciutto that we bought for homemade sourdough pizza. There were three large thick slices and we used only a slice for the pizza. When I checked the status of the leftover, it looked still fine. I happened to see the price on the package. I was stunned. How expensive the prosciutto was! I remembered J said it tasted much better than Wegmans brand when we were making the pizza. Yes, it should. It was authentic Prosciutto di Parma! Once I knew the value, I immediately started thinking of what to do with the leftover before it gets dry or molded. I browsed Internet to get some inspirations. I wanted to make some sort of pasta dish, but wasn't in a cream-based sauce mood this time. There were some pasta recipes online that combined tomato and prosciutto, but I didn't run into a recipe that excited me. I ended up making a recipe. It was actually similar to Pasta all'Amatriciana, but prosciutto took a place of pancetta, and I added prosciutto in the tomato-shallot-garlic sauce just before serving along with fresh basil. Nobody wants cook Prosciutto di Parma like pancetta, doesn't he/she?
The result was fresh, bold, meaty! J liked the dish very much. It was clearly salty, though. The rich meaty flavor from Prosciutto di Parma came with generous salt. At least I used a can of diced "no-salt-added" tomato for the sauce and didn't add any salt in the sauce. Well, adding Parmesan cheese didn't support my effort, but it was a nice touch to the dish.

Popular Posts