Harvest Grains Sourdough Bread

This was harvest grains sourdough bread.

My latest ingredient for baking is King Arthur Flour's harvest grains blend. The blend contains "four grains (whole oat berries, millet, rye flakes, and wheat flakes) and four seeds (flax, poppy, sesame, and sunflower) for their range of textures and taste," according to KAF.
It looks like this.
I adapted a recipe printed on the package and adjusted the amount of water and all purpose flour so that I could add 8 oz of unfed sourdough starter. The recipe was interesting. It called for a little bit of whole wheat and a little bit of corn meal. Also, no egg or butter. Instead, a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil. I also added a couple of teaspoons of vital wheat vital wheat gluten.
Ta-da! It smelled wonderful!
And it tasted wonderful, too! The crumb was super soft and the grains and seeds were fun to chew.
J asked me to make the bread again. That told me how great the bread was! Of course, I will bake the bread again very soon.

Popular Posts