Out-of-Season Pumpkin Pie

This was out-of-season pumpkin pie!

I bought a can of pumpkin some months ago to make pumpkin muffins filled with cream cheese. The muffins never realize because J confirmed he didn't like such muffins. Alright, then what to do with the pumpkin? A straightforward alternative was pumpkin pie. Not for thanksgiving but in May? Let's do it.
I adapted a recipe of non-baked pumpkin pie from Cook's Illustrated. I have used the recipe before and it was pretty good. I made some changes as usual. I skipped adding sugar in the crust because graham crackers were already sweet. To make up the loss of volume, I added two table spoon of coconut powder. I did so when I made non-bake cream lemon pie and it seemed like keeping the crust from getting soggy even after three days in the refrigerator.
The crust was pre-baked, but the filling was no-bake. I made the pie in the early morning so that it will be chilled enough and ready to eat in the early evening.
Before serving the pie, I told J that I made a out-of-season pie. He immediately mentioned, "Pumpkin pie?" How did he know that? Was it so easy to guess?
Anyway, the prize for the right answer was a big piece of pumpkin pie with whipped cream. He got it!

Popular Posts