Pad Kee Mao

This was Pad Kee Mao.

I am a new subscriber of the New York Times' cooking weekly news letter. Recent letter included a recipe of this Thai dish. I had't heard the name of Pad Kee Mao before, but when I learned it was also called Drunken Noodles, it suddenly became familiar. I think it's one of common dishes at Thai restaurants in the US, and usually very spicy and too salty with too much soy sauce. The New York Times' picture and recipe of the dish didn't look like what I have seen at the restaurants. I was simply curious to make it for a quick weekday dinner. All ingredients were available at a local grocery store as I replaced bird's eye chilis with jalapenos as well as fresh rice noodles with dried rice noodles. I also created my own "dark sweet soy sauce" with soy sauce, oyster sauce, coconut sugar and dry sherry. And I reduced garlic a little bit.
The result was pretty good! It was a little bit salty for me, but the complex flavor was very fine. It was peppery, garlicy and fishy. These strong flavors nicely mingled with rich pork, sweet bell pepper, and chewy rice noodle. Also, fresh basil and fresh lime juice brighten up the dish. Probably next time I will reduce the amount of fish sauce, but I will definitely make the dish again.

Popular Posts