Amazake

Happy New Year 2018! To welcome the new year, I made a cup of hot Amazake that I brought back from Japan last fall. Amazake, which literally means sweet sake, is a traditional sweet, thick, low- or non-alcohol Japanese drink made from fermented rice. According to an article of Japan Time, "Amanotamuznake, an early version of amazake, is mentioned in the “Nihon Shoki” (“Chronicles of Japan”), an early history of Japan compiled in 720".
Amazake reminds me of visiting a local temple with my family on New Year Day (or Jan 2nd or 3rd, depending on the weather). There was a little Japanese semi-outdoor cafe in the temple property that served light meals like noodle soup bowl and hot Amazake. We sat down at a large wooden bench and sipped hot Amazake in the crisp winter air. This Amazake was much smoother and less sugary than the temple's one. It seems that Amazake has been very popular a last couple of years as a healthy drink in Japan because it's known rich in vitamin B2 and intestinal microflora. I like to drink Amazake hot with a little fresh ginger but it can be served chilled, without ginger. I wasn't sure if J would like Amazake, so I made a small cup for him just to taste it first. He didn't seem to dislike it. Good! I will bring the creamy healthy drink more when I go back to Japan next time.

Popular Posts