Captain Donovan's Mild Madras Curry

I don't know who Captain Donovan is (was), but I know the curry under the person's name was delicious! I found the recipe for the curry in my new cooking book, Irish Traditional Cooking written by Darina Allen. The book was one of the gifts from Santa J. Thank you Santa J! The recipe, from the Irish lamb section of the book, called for 1/2 cup of finely chopped blanched almonds, 1 pound of boneless lamb leg or shoulder, 2 tablespoons of ghee or clarified butter, 2 onions, 2 garlic cloves and some several kinds of spices like coriander, black pepper, cardamom, close, and turmeric for four servings. I expected we could enjoy the curry two days. It was easy to make while the output portion didn't looked like enough for four. Each of us had a good amount of curry and rice. There wasn't much leftover. Did we eat too much? Is serving portion in Ireland smaller than ours? Anyway, the curry was very tasty. It was mild indeed. I could tell it because there wasn't any spice that could bring a lot of heat. I, who is not a big fan of hot-chili-spicy foods, didn't mind it at all. J, who loves hot-chili-things seemed to enjoy the curry, too. The curry was like rich, thick paste, not soupy. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be like that, or the lid on the pot wasn't tight and too much liquid was gone during cooking in the oven. I wished to get an answer from Darina or Captain Donovan. 

Popular Posts