Sweet Treats with Yorkshire Forced Rhubarb


Bettys' Rhubarb Frangipane was one of the most beautiful rhubarb sweets I have ever seen. The bright pink color immediately caught my eye when I stopped by at Bettys in the late January and couldn't help but busy a couple of them. Frangipane tart is my favorite kind of tart. I love rhubarb because of its sourness and color. Rhubarb Frangipane made by my favorite bakery in the town sounded prefect. The tart was truly perfect.


Unlike Japan, rhubarb seems pretty common in the UK, especially in Yorkshire. J and I heard a story of Yorkshire forced rhubarb at our another favorite bakery, Manna Bakery - that there is an area called "The Rhubarb Triangle" in West Yorkshire, where produces early forced rhubarb in a special method. Apparently Yorkshire forced rhubarb is grown in a warm and completely dark environment to develop sweetness and tenderness as well as bright pink color. To minimize the lighting, harvesting is done by hand with candle light.



Manna offered their version of Rhubarb Frangipane as well as sweet croissant with pastry cream and rhubarb jam. Both were lovely. Of course, their rhubarb was Yorkshire forced rhubarb. Later I learned that Bettys used Yorkshire forced rhubarb from a supplier in Pudsey in West Yorkshire. I am so fortunate to be in Yorkshire and taste mysterious and fascinating Yorkshire forced rhubarb in season. 

Popular Posts