Gyros, Tzatziki, Pita

This was Gyros with homemade Tzatziki in homemade Pita.

I followed a recipe from July 2007 issue of Cook's Illustrated, which used ground lamb for practical home cooking, instead of the traditional cooking method: several pounds of marinated sliced leg of lamb layered and stacked on a vertical rotisserie.

The recipe has been in my mind so long time. Somehow I had not had a chance to try it. Actually I bought a splatter screen because the magazine recommended to keep the mess to a minimum when cooking the patties. It must have been around late 2007. Since then, I have been using the screen many times, but not for this particular recipe. Finally, I could use the screen for the original purpose, and now knew it really worked well!

Lamb meatball style of Gyros were juicy and flavorful with onion, garlic, oregano, lemon. Tzatziki with fresh mint from our garden was very refreshing.

Pick one favorite Pita, cut half to make a pocket, pack Gyros and Tzatziki along with iceberg lettuce, tomato, feta cheese into the pocket, and munch, munch, munch.

This will be one of our favorite sandwiches.

Popular Posts