Spinach Paneer & Okra Masala

These were two kind of curries: Palak (Spinach) Paneer from North India (right) and Okra Masala from South India (left).
 
For Palak Paneer, I adapted a recipe from an great Indian cooking website of Manjula's Kitchen. Her video to show how to make Palak Paneer was very helpful. Unlike many other Palak Paneer, this didn't have garlic nor onion nor green chiles. Simple but rich, creamy, fragrant. I reduced a lot of red pepper amount so that I could appreciate the taste and enjoy it. So I replaced red chile pepper with a pinch of J's mother's mix pepper powder. I also skipped whole wheat flour paste since my curry looked thick enough. My curry was not really green. I guessed because I used a bit less spinach and 14 oz canned whole tomato that was more than 2 fresh tomatoes. We enjoyed the result very much anyway. We LOVE Paneer!

For Okra Masala, I adapted a recipe from a recipe book called Curry Cuisine by multiple authors. The original recipe was Vendakka vazhuthananga masala (Okra and eggplant spicy masala), but I skipped eggplant and doubled okra (actually more than double). I also reduced the "heat" level again and skipped fenugreek seeds and cilantro leaves. After changes here and there, still my okra masala was lovely aromatic; we didn't miss anything, even eggplant. I LOVE Okra! I assume J too!

Okra Masala
SERVES 4-6

2 tbs vegetable oil
pinch of fennel seeds
1 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
3 cardamon pods
1 bay leaf
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
a pinch of mixed red chile pepper powder
1 tbs tomato paste
4 Roma tomatoes, finely chopped (or 1 can diced tomato)
16 oz fresh or frozen okra
salt for taste

1. Heat oil, stir in fennel seeds, cinnamon stick, cardamon pods, bay leaf, garlic, onion, cook until onion become soften and light brown
2. Stir in turmeric, coriander, chile pepper, tomato paste, cook 1 min
3. Stir in tomato and 2 cup water, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer about 10 min
4. Stir in okra, cover and cook until soften, adjust taste with salt

Popular Posts