Baby Chick-shaped Milky White Bean Cake

This was Chick-shaped Milky White Bean Cake... well, hard to describe.

I believe most of Japanese people would understand it if I said this was something like Hiyoko, one of loved Japanese sweets being around the past 100 years. I don't know the original Hiyoko's recipe, which must be a corporate secret.

To create the outside, I checked multiple recipes for a similar Japanese sweet. Main ingredient was condensed milk - the result was super moist cake.

About the inside, delicate delicious filling of the original Hiyoko is made from special white kidney beans, sugar, egg yolks (and something else?) in special measures. My version was made from dried Lima beans, sugar, condensed milk and skim milk - milky creamy. It was not difficult at all but just time-consuming including endless detailed works such as removing thin skins and tiny sprouts from each of the hundreds of beans. No pain, no gain.

The most fun part was shaping. J didn't think they were baby chicks. Fair enough. Whatever they looked like, I thought they were cute, and the taste wonderful!

Popular Posts