North African-ish Chickpea, Butternut Squash, Date Tagine

This was North African-ish, chickpea, butternut squash, date tagine over couscous with Moroccan-ish orange salad.

Summer is gone; Autumn is here. I wanted to celebrate it with sweet roasted butternut squash. This North African flavored dish made my dream come true. Adapting a recipe of Chickpea and Date Tagine from Vegetarian Times, one of my favorite magazines, I used fresh ginger and added roasted butternut squash. I thought of skipping dates because butternut squash would gave enough sweetness to the dish, but add some for extra fruitiness. I forgot to buy cilantro, so sprinkled some mint leaves. Instead of usual green leafy salad, Moroccan-ish orange salad was a refreshing accompany.

Question: did J like this dinner? He is not a big fan of sweet dish, so I took a chance. During dinner, when I asked him if I could adjust anything with the tagine, he said he would like this curry-like flavor with chicken. Hmmmm, such a change would make it a total different dish! The butternut squash was supposed to be in the spotlight. Orange and olive combination was kinda weird, said he too. I see. He might not see the salad again at least on our dinner table if he wished, but definitely would meet butternut squash in a different style because I couldn't give up the golden sweet squash.

Popular Posts