Cheese & Jalapeño Biscuits

These were Cheese & Jalapeño Biscuits.

I was browsing online, wondering what we could make with J's fresh jalapeño growing in our garden. Then, a lovely photo of "Cheddar and Jalapeño Biscuits" on a great food blog, Simply Recipes caught my eye.

I make biscuits and scorns once in a while, which are usually rich in butter that makes them flaky, tasty, irresistible. Surprisingly, this recipe didn't call for butter, just heavy cream. Instead, a lot of cheese! I knew J would LOVE it. Egg free made me happy too.

Following the recipe, I used low-fat shredded four Mexican mix cheese, instead of just cheddar simply because that was what I had. Used Masa for corn meals. Skipped a pinch of cayenne pepper; added a pinch of Ancho chile pepper. Three tbs sugar sounded a lot to me, but complied with the recipe to see how it would work out. One jalapeño made slightly less than two tbs, but chopping second jalapeño would be too much. What I was looking for here was not heat but flavor anyway.

The results were, wow! very good! I loved the very tender, not-so-crumbly texture. Jalapeño was just right in a comfort level. Of course, each bite was great "cheesy." Biscuits were definitely sweet, I would say much sweeter as savory baked stuffs, but somehow I didn't mind in this case and even I thought the sweetness was one of the biscuits' characters, brightening saltiness of cheese and bitterness of fresh jalapeño. J liked these biscuits very much too!!

Now we have a new option to enjoy J's green babies.

Popular Posts