Tiramisu - no eggs

This was Tiramisu without eggs, adapting from Gordon Ramsay's easy tiramisu, with some adjustments and changes.

I have been dreaming about making my own tiramisu recently, keeping Mascarpone cheese in the refrigerator. We didn't have any specific plan for this weekend; it was a chance to make my dream come true... if I could successfully find Savoiardi biscuits.

First J took me a bigger grocery store than the closest one that I knew didn't carry the biscuits. No luck. Then, he took me to an Italian market. I remember they hadn't had the biscuits long time ago, so I was a little bit skeptical but wishing they do now. Yes! They did! Even they had three different brands. 

I used Splenda for powdered sugar and reduced Marsala to 2 tbs. I would like extra bitter chocolate (at least 70%) for the topping, but the most bitter chocolate in hand was 60 %. I had to compromised with it.

Other than that, I was happy with the output. Importantly it was not "running," which was J's only request. I carefully quickly soaked biscuits in coffee one by one so that tiramisu would not get soggy.

There are a lot of Savoiardi biscuits left. Now my tiramisu dream was fully satisfied. What could I do with them?

Tiramisu - No Eggs
MAKES 8 x 8 glass container

1 cup espresso coffee
1 cup Mascarpone
2 tbs Marsala
2 tsp vanilla extra
3/4 cup whipped cream
2 tbs Splenda
1 pack savoiardi biscuits
bitter chocolate, shredded
cocoa powder

1. Make espresso coffee, cool down
2. In a bowl, cream Mascarpone with Marsala and vanilla.
3. In a different bowl, whip cream with Splenda until medium soft peak.
4. Fold whipped cream into Mascarpone mixture.
5. Dip both sides of each biscuit very very very quickly and align in a glass container. Pour half of cream mixture over the aligned biscuits. Repeat to make the second layer. Cover with a plastic wrap and chilled at least a few hours. Before serving, decorate with shredded chocolate and cocoa powder.

Popular Posts