Cauliflower & Caramelized Onion Tart

This was Cauliflower and Caramelized Onion Tart.

We hadn't tasted cauliflower for a while with no specific reason, so I started browsing recipes for the somehow forgotten vegetable. First I went to Smitten Kitchen blog site and found some gorgeous pictures of Cauliflower and Caramelized Onion Tart. My quest was quickly done.

The recipe, originally from Bon Appetit, called for truffle oil or truffle salt. It was optional but seemed like a secret weapon of the tart. But unfortunately I didn't have either one. I knew it would be completely different but added 1 tablespoon dried thyme in caramelized onion to cover the missing flavor spot with something I own. I also mixed generous amount of Espelette pepper along with black and white pepper in cheese mixture.

About cheese, again I used what I had in the refrigerator: 6 oz 1/3 fat cream cheese for 8 oz Mascarpone cheese, and 1 cup mixture of Edam cheese and Baby Swiss cheese for 1 cup Gruyere cheese. For Dijon mustard, I combined regular smooth type and seedy type, and used more than 1 table spoon total.
During baking the tart, I realized I forgot a pinch of nutmeg in the cheese mixture. With those changes, even the result was wonderful! It was a truly lovely cheesy creamy savory tart. Now I am curious how the tart would taste with the right ingredients.

Popular Posts