Mushroom, Wild Rice, & Barley Soup + Corn Bread

This was Mushroom, Wild Rice and Barley Soup. And, homemade corn bread.

I followed a recipe from Cook's Illustrated January & February 2013, which was Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup. I had only 1/2 cup of wild rice. So I added 1/2 cup of barley. In fact we liked the combination of wild rice and barley. The Cook's recipe shared some interesting technique with me: adding finely ground dried Shiitake mushroom; baking wild rice in the oven and using the liquid from cooking wild rice; making a dark fond with mushroom, onion, garlic, tomato paste, etc. The result was a very hearty earthy comfy soup! I will make it again.
The corn bread was my usual Northern style. This time I baked it in a 9 inch pan instead of a muffin pan. No matter what kinds of shape is taken, the lovely golden crust and moist interior is guaranteed.

Popular Posts