Tunnock's Teacakes

They were Tunnock's Teacakes.

I don't know how these sweets are common in the US. At least I had never seen them until I picked up this box at a World Market in VA. First I thought they were something like mini chocolate cake based on what the front of the box said. Then, when I read the back, I realized they must be a cousin of Mallomars. As a big fan of Mallomars, I must try it. I learned these were made in Scotland. Tunnock's is a Scottish family-owned confectionery since 1980, and Teacakes is one of their original specialties. I ponder whether Teacakes are somehow related to Mallomars...

Yes, Teacakes were just like Mallomars, but bigger than Mallomars. J preferred Teacakes because marshmallow was creamier and biscuit provided a better texture. Mallomars' chocolate coating may be more chocolaty; now I have to buy Mallomars again to compare with Teacakes.  

Popular Posts