Edam Cheese Steamed Cupcakes

These were Edam Cheese Steamed Cupcakes.

I wasn't fully satisfied with my Cream Cheese Steamed Cupcakes because they didn't have much cheese flavor. This time I used Edam cheese, a classic semi-hard cheese originated in the Netherlands.

Not just using only Edam cheese, I mixed it with some cream cheese. They tasted a bit more cheese, and a little saltiness from cheese that I guess came from Edam cheese. They were good, but I would like to try again with different cheese. Also I might like to make a little sweeter. To make the texture lighter, I beat egg white and added frothy egg white to the batter, but it might have not made a big difference... I am still on my journey to my dream cheese steamed cakes.

Edam Cheese Steamed Cupcakes
MAKES 8

100g cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
50 g 1/3-fat cream cheese, room temperature
60 g Edam cheese grated
7 tbs Splenda (or 80-100 g sugar)
2 eggs, room temperature (separate yolk and white)
2 tbs low-fat milk
2 tbs vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extra

1. In a small bowl, mix flour and baking powder, and sift the flour mixture, set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk cream cheese and Edam cheese until soften, stir in Splenda, whisk well until smooth.
3. Add egg yolks one by one, whisk well each time until smooth.
4. Add milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla, whisk well. Sift in the flour mixture, mix with spatula gently but quickly until the flour mixture is just incorporated into the cheese mixture.
5. Beat egg white until frothy, hold egg white into the flour-cheese mixture.
6. Spoon the batter into 8 cupcake cups. Set in a steamer, steam over high heat about 15 min, or until a toothpick comes out clear.

Popular Posts